One of the small, brownish spots on the skin that are caused by deposition of pigment and that increases in number and darken with exposure to sunlight is known as freckles. This can increase in number as the skin is exposed to the sun. There is no age limit for this problem as kids between 1 and 3 years of age can also get affected. People with fair skin are more affected by this problem on their upper body skin, which includes cheeks, nose, neck, arms and shoulders. Freckles are same on every person but they can be darker than the skin surrounded by freckle. It can be reddish, yellow, shades of brown, tan or black. The shade f freckle changes as the affected person is exposed to the sun, thus is lighter in winters due to less sun burn.
Make an Appointment
Causes of Freckles
The reason of freckles is the increased amount of dark pigment called melanin whereas it was considered as the reason of total number of pigment producing cell called melanocytes. Increased melanin in the body will increase the number of freckles.
Types of Freckles
Simple freckles and sunburn freckles are the two main types of freckles. Simple freckles are size of a nail with round and dark color. Whereas sunburn freckles are darker with irregular borders and are larger in size, due to severe exposure to sun. Sunburns are most common on the upper part of the body that is exposed to sun.
This term is originated from Greek, refers to flat spots that are reddish and light brown that appear during the summers. People with fair skin are more affected by this. Genetically people with red hair and green eyes are more affected by this type and it runs in family. Sunscreen and other protection measures can help reduce the effect and can bring the most effective and efficient results.
This term is generated from Latin vocabulary for different types of freckles including; darker freckles and sunburn freckles. This type of freckles are dark and do not fade during winters. This type is rarely a genetic syndrome. Most of the time they are not important or are isolated exposure.
Treatment for Freckles in Dubai
There are many treatments that can be used to reduce the effect of the freckles. However, not every skin type will be improved with the same treatment, thus for some the mixture of treatments would be required to bring up the best and most effective result. People must also notice that along with these treatments the exposure to the sun should be reduced to avoid the reoccurrence of freckles due to UV exposure.
- Bleaching or fading creams containing hydroquinone and also kojic acid can be effective with no side effects. Over 2% hydroquinone should be used under doctor’s prescription regarding the condition of the freckles. Bleaching and sunscreen can help to protect the skin from further damage and lightening up the freckles.
- Retinoids are used with other bleaching creams, tretinoin that have vitamin A acid and Retin-A, tazarotene (Tazorac), and adapalene (Differin). This can also help to reduce freckles when applied for several months.
- Cryosurgery is a combination of light freezing with liquid nitrogen that can be used for different types of freckles. However, all types of freckles cannot be treated through this treatment.
- Freckles can be removed safely and effectively through laser treatments. Like cryosurgery, this treatment is also helpful and can be used without any side effects and risk of skin damage. These treatments have the high success rate that lowers the risk and make it more functional.
- There is another technique which uses the light but not as a laser treatment called Photo-Facials or Intense Pulsed Light treatment. They help to treat the freckles in a much better and efficient manner.
- The last technique is not used quite often but can be used to control the freckles. To lighten up the freckles Chemical peels can also be used than can improve the irregular pigmentation.
Spanish Center Dubai and Aesthetics & Dermatology are specialized in treatment for freckles in Dubai to maintain the natural and effective result.